The Definitive Guide to Installing ASCOM Platform 6.0 Service Pack 1
This content is obsolete; please view the updated version
I’m attempting to pull together the recent discussion into what I hope will become the definitive guide to installing ASCOM Platform 6 and the .NET Framework.
- In all cases, your operating system must be at the latest service pack(1) and up-to-date via Windows Update. As at the time of writing, that means:
Windows 8: RTM (no service pack available yet)
Windows 7: Service Pack 1
Windows Vista: Service Pack 2
Windows XP: Service Pack 3
If a later version is available to that shown above, use the later version.
- You must have Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 installed. Please note the following:
- .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 contains all earlier versions down to 2.0. For ASCOM, you need only install .NET 3.5 Service Pack 1 and there is no need to install any previous version
- On Windows 7 and Windows 8, the .NET Framework is preinstalled and is a part of the operating system(2). Do not attempt to install any downloadable version of the .NET Framework on those systems
- After any installation or upgrade to the .NET Framework, ensure your system is up-to-date via Windows Update.
- 3. Install ASCOM Platform 6.0 Service Pack 1. There is no need to uninstall previous versions – this one installer contains everything you need; it will install as a clean install or over the top of an existing install.
(1) If you are unsure which service pack you have installed, use the start menu to run winver.exe. and read off the service pack level from the position shown below. If no service pack is listed, none is installed.
(2) There have been some cases where the .NET Framework has become disabled on Windows 7 and 8. In that case, do not attempt to download and install the framework. Instead, go to Control panel, Programs (or Add/Remove Programs) and select Turn Windows Features On or Off. In the dialog, make sure that .NET Framework 3.5.1 (on Windows 7) and .NET Framework 3.5 (on Windows 8) are enabled. After doing this, you must also use Windows Update to install any additional updates.
Windows XP Service Pack 3: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389
Windows Vista Service Pack 2: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791
Windows 7 Service Pack 1: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976932
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=22
Windows Update: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/